Home40 Things To Do Now I'm 40All About UsDisclosurePR Contact Me

Friday 22 July 2011

Magic 100 Words - Victorian Cursive!

It’s been quite a few years since I have had a child in prep, and over time many things have changed and some have stayed the same. One thing that has evolved dramatically in that time is the internet and the availability of information and resources and the ability to easily share them with others.

Ironically one thing I found that hadn’t changed, was the availability of free things in “Victorian Cursive” which is the writing/reading model that Victorian schools use. I could find hundreds and thousands of resources to help Jacob at home but they were and just in a standard print or a cursive that was slightly different.

Jacob had been telling me about his “magic golden words” he was learning and wanted me to print them out for him. So after googling and googling, all I could find was the words in a standard print. Well after a little investigating, I found you can download the Victorian Cursive font from the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development - Thank you!!!!

So I went back and found the word list that comprised of the first “Magic 100 Words” and made a sheet for him in Victorian Cursive. I broke the 100 up into the 7 coloured categories: Golden, Red, Blue, Orange, Green, Indigo and Violet, so he could have the individual sheets when he was up to them.

Who would have thought that a simple printed out word list could make a kids so happy? He has blu-tacked the word list he is learning to the side of his dresser and tells us the words before he goes to bed.  Yes, I know, terribly cute :)



EDIT: I have done an update post HERE that has a link to the files in .docx, .txt and .pdf format :)

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Nat! I have looked everywhere for this stuff. You are a gem! Thanks for sharing XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoughtful of you!
    I have bookmarked this post for when I'll need them! (Hopefully not for a while, Missy Moo is only 10 months!)
    Popping in from FYBF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had an email from Kathryn requesting a copy in word format, but the email you sent is bouncing back - hope you read this and can resend your details :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had an email from Felicity requesting the word in a word format. This is the response I am getting from your email
    "The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've posted a new blog post with a link for the lists in word format.
    http://nats-natterings.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/magic-100-wordsvictorian-cursive-take-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Nat, thank you soooo much. I searched for magic words data, and what you provide is awesome. I really really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nat,

    I did the same thing last year, but the class teacher told me "Thanks, but we prefer they are exposed to a variety of fonts so that they are no locked into the Vic cursive only", which I suppose is a fair point.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover